The Best Way to Improve the Health of Your Pond
Aeration is a key component in remediating and maintaining the health of a pond.
All the beneficial organisms in your water body require oxygen to live, thrive and survive and sub-surface aeration is the best way to add oxygen if your pond is deficient. Oxygen not only keeps fish alive, but is also essential to the breakdown of bottom sludge and nutrients in the water column.
The Basics of Aeration
Sub-surface aeration uses a compressor to push air from the atmosphere down through weighted hose to a diffuser at the pond bottom. The diffuser breaks the air into fine bubbles which rise through the water column to the water surface.
Sub-Surface Aeration has benefits far beyond just adding bubbles.
- It adds air at the bottom of the water column where it is needed most
- As the bubbles rise the oxygen inside has the best opportunity to diffuse into the surrounding water
- That rising column of air circulates water vertically within the pond by lifting oxygen poor water from the bottom and by bringing it to the surface. Larger diffuser surface area creates bigger the “zone of influence”
- It moderates water temperatures by eliminating thermocline (layering)
- Aeration enhances the performance of your bacterial treatment to maximize the results
Custom Designed Aeration
Every pond is different...and equally every aeration system is different. Proper aeration requires proper design incorporating all the things that make your pond unique. Size, shape, shade, flow-through, and purpose are just some of the factors that can effect the design of a proper aeration system.
Arbourdale is pleased to provide custom designed aeration solutions for ponds, industrial containments, and stormwater.